Thread: Peeing in the house after neutering?

Peeing in the house after neutering?

Casey is 9 month old and was house broke, until he was neuter 10 days ago. First night he pee on the bed (he sleeps with me) Just thought oh well it's from the surgery.
    All together he has pee 4 times in the house since the surgery. Once in the living room and 3 times on the bed.

Anyway call my Vet office this morning and they said to bring in a urine sample, because if he had a infection when he came in the anesthesia would make it worse. I know he never had a infection when he arrived, or she said a behavior problem? I feel there is no way since isn't neutering suppose to stop things like this not cause it? Plus he never did it before surgery? Upset me they imply that!

Plus he's not peeing little amount often but very large puddles. Like he holding it until he can't stand it any longer. Have not been watching him 100% while he is out (fence in yard) to see if he pees> until today. Now I'm taking him for walks, he is not the type of male that marks every little bit, he pees once and he's done.
    Please tell me this is normal and he will be ok?
    I'm really broke after my one dog surgery...

PS: He still has stitches, they are suppose to be the kind that dissolved on their own but so far they have not.
    He has no redness or swelling, he eating and happy as a lark!
    >Mom to Casey

Peanut, for 17 yrs you made me laugh, I miss you! 1988-2005
    Joey, My Precious Little Boy I miss you more! 1999-2007
    Lacey, Our Dear Little Girl I miss you the most! 1993-2009

Fred our kitty *18* yrs was not long enough 1992-2010

He could have a UTI from the neuter?

Here in Germany we're told about this could happen after neutering from time to time. Could simply be an adverse reaction.

But please do a check up! Perhaps at another unprejudiced vet (not the vet, who neutered).

Another thing could be, your dachsie is infected with a bladder inflammation caused by non-sterile surgical instruments.

Best Greetz from Germany,
    Markus

It could be a UTI - take in a urine specimen just to be safe. And please keep us posted! Neutering in itself normally doesn't cause a dog to lose his housetraining habits!! Sounds like a UTI to me.

Suzanne, sorry for asking, but UTI is the abbreviation for what???

Best Greetz from Germany,
    Markus

Tried to get the little bugger to pee in a cup all afternoon, but anytime I put it near him he jumped away.
    Will try harder tomorrow so a infection can be rule out or treated.
    Maybe it is a behavior problem but seems strange it started up right after he was neuter.
    Today I kept the bedroom door shut I thought tight. About a hour ago he kept scratching on the bedroom door, I was thinking he wanted to go to bed. He kept coming into the home office to get me. Little while later I heard him barking and found him inside the bedroom. After letting him out and shutting the door back>>he showed me what he has been doing to get in, he jumps up like a jumping bean until he hits the door knob ( takes a few tries) and the door opens, go inside the bedroom and pees on the bed, since the bedroom door shuts back, he wants back out and barks. The urine smell really bad tonight like a skunk smell.
    Wow never had to deal with anything like this before. Tired of washing bed clothes!
    What is a easy way to get a urine sample?
    >Mom to Casey

Peanut, for 17 yrs you made me laugh, I miss you! 1988-2005
    Joey, My Precious Little Boy I miss you more! 1999-2007
    Lacey, Our Dear Little Girl I miss you the most! 1993-2009

Fred our kitty *18* yrs was not long enough 1992-2010

How I catch a urine sample (i had 2 girls) I use a soup laddle and walk behind them until they are ready to squat and then try to catch!
    Kris proudly owned by
    Anne Oaklee & Bossco Tee
    MyTinker Belle Always & Forever
    MyFurother Dudley Doolittle Always & Forever

oscarforevermom Guest
    I'm not Suzanne - but UTI is the abbreviation for Urinary Tract Infection. Very painful & if that's the diagnoisis - should be on antibiotics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dackel Clarence View Post
    No need to apologize - UTI is short for urinary tract infection.

If the urine has a REALLY bad odor to it, I'd highly suspect a UTI! You may have to let the vet get a clean catch from him - catching urine when a dog pees, especially a male, isn't the easiest thing to do!

Doxiemom, Thank you so much for the tip >the soup laddle worked perfect! Glad I had a extra one!
    Got a urine sample and took him to the Vet.
    Casey does not have a infection or was there any blood in his urine but the Vet said he has crystals in his urine. Not clear what it means?
    She didn't seem concern or did she recommend anything. Researching I find diet can play a part and even water supply in different part of the country.
    Anyone have any info on this subject?

PS; the Vet went ahead and put him antibiotic's for 10 day since he had surgery. She's thinking he's feeling discomfort from surgery and holding his pee to long until we go to bed. So I'm going out with him and watching to make sure he pees before coming in!

Hummm crystals in the urine can be an indication of bladder or kidney stones
    http://www.chicagovma.org/pdfs/cepro...thiasis_01.pdf
    Check out www.dogaware.com
    I believe there a recommended diets for bladder and kidney ailments

Tinker Bellehad bladder stones twice and I did do some checking on our water and we live in a town of about 4000 and the water guys told me that there is a lot of calcium in our water so I bought the 'kids' a used 5 gallon water dispencer from Culligan. The vets then put her on feline food to control getting them again the dog food was too big of kibble and she lost some teeth also befor hand. She was 8 & 9 when these started to give her trouble. We lost of Precious Tinker Belle 10/26/07 from a incurable disease.
    I would really check into water.
    Kris proudly owned by
    Anne Oaklee & Bossco Tee

Glad the soup laddle worked!!
    Kris proudly owned by
    Anne Oaklee & Bossco Tee

My vet told me at one time that Lexie had crystals in her urine, too, and it was very concentrated and I needed to get her to drink more water. Yeah, right! After a few attempts at various methods to encourage her water drinking, including expensive water additives designed for dogs (which Lexie decided she did NOT like), I finally hit upon "sardine juice," which has resolved her drinking issues - she LOVES it! I shake up a can of sardines (packed in water) in a gallon jar of tap water - when thoroughly mixed, pour the "sardine juice" into a bowl, and watch them lap it up! I usually give them the sardine juice every evening after our walk, although in the winter, I cut it back some because Lexie shivers so much after drinking it. But it solved my problem with Lexie and her reluctance to drink water! I add a new can of sardines intermittently, depending on how "sardiney" the water smells and how eagerly they drink it. I use a lot more in the summer, of course.