Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charity auctions puppies for fundraiser

maddoxies Guest

Thumbs down Charity auctions puppies for fundraiser

The Jeuvenile Diabities Research Foundation recently held a fundraising dinner and auctioned off a LIVE puppy .

Helping Homeless Pets has contacted JDRF (the fundraising manager), who did not acknowledge that this was a bad idea and did not commit to stopping this form of fundraising.

Here is the article from last Saturday's Globe and Mail (a VERY respected newspaper).

http://tinyurl.com/2tjoyo

I plan to continue this fight by contacting Board members of JDRF and some of their corporate sponsors, to make the sponsors aware of this event. I don't think that big, well known corporations would want to be linked to this activity.

More appalling is the fact that this auction is only part of the article about the "in-ness" of donating and not a screaming headline.

People still don't "get" that these are living creatures, not a lamp, to be auctioned off.

That's unbelievable!! What were they thinking???? Good for you for following this up with the JDRF - if there's anything I can do to help please let me know.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    ----- M. Acklam

Heidi - Forever in my heart 10/06/2000-03/06/2009
    Pete - Always loved - ?-20/12/2010
    member - Tiny Paws Dog Rescue

This is appalling and makes me ashamed to be from Canada - this is the letter to the editor I just sent.

I think the auctioning off of a live animal at an event like the fundraiser for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation borders on barbaric. I would have expected a story like this to come out of one of those countries that routinely show cruelty and disregard to the well being of animals

" Toronto is a very sophisticated city " indeed.
    Adriene
    ---------
    "The Boyz" Stinky & Chester

I am totally shocked! I hope this can be halted before it even begins!!! Can we all e-mail the organization or someone???

maddoxies Guest
    Here is the Canadian website.
    http://www.jdrf.ca/index.cfm?fuseact...0E9A8B4610C858

Certainly we want JDRF to stop these types of fundraisers, but even more, this genie is out of the bottle and we don't want to see other groups holding similar auctions.

Emails are quick and easy, please do so. I plan to send hard copy letters to each director in care of the branch of JDRF in their city (with a copy of the newspaper article). I don't want the person who organized this to lose their job (and I will state so in my letter), I want an assurance that this will NEVER happen again, a public statement regretting their actions would be icing on the cake.

Thanks - I'll see what I can do!!

TheHutches Guest
    I sent an e-mail. What happens when rescue organizations have to clean up their mess if those pups are abandoned?

My Mood
    Doh
    What can we do? I'd love to email or write. Can you post some contact info. I'll write a group email or letter so that perhaps we can collect signatures!

GromitsMom Guest
    I completely get what you are saying about the frenzy of bidding on a live animal and what happens if the dog is abandoned...this also happens here in the states; while we lived in CA our kids went to a private parocheal school where parents funding and fundraisers were the only way to keep the school afloat. Every year there was a customary Fall Festival that would raise (last year I heard over $80,000) thousands of dollars in a mere 8 hour day. Included were the standard auctions for donated goodie baskets, getaways to local hotels, bottles of wine etc. Also included were at least 2 puppies that would fetch $500+ each. Now mind you, this was a family event and I did meet one family that "won" a puppy who is still in the home but I did wonder what if people got caught up in the bidding, what if they got the puppy for their nagging (spoiled) kids and found out how much work puppies are and changed their minds. Most of us on this board have researched breeders to make a suitable selection of a pet or made it our cause to rescue a doxie in need and had all our ducks in a row to prepare ourselves for taking a dog into our homes. These people who go to autions/fundraisers like this go home without any supplies, bedding or even food?!? My goodness, what a first night they must have and be ready to throw the pup out the door in the morning once they realize the cute puppy is a lot of work...in my heart I hope those who "win" a dog keep the dog and take responsibility for their donation and not abandon it or take it to a shelter.

teenieweenieran Guest
    I hate to cause and arguement for myslef BUT don't see the probelm. No one is FORCED to bid at an auction. If they don't want a dog then they don't bid. I would be more upset at the breeder for donating the puppy not knowing what kind of home it is going to. Just my thoughts on the matter. The money went to a good cause.

I sent the following email to their general Toronto email address info@jdrf.ca :

I was shocked and dismayed to see that your recent Promise Ball fundraising auction sold two puppies to the highest bidders. I consider auctioning live animals to people who are caught up in auction fever and who may know nothing about raising and taking care of a dog a very uninformed and inconsiderate decision.
    Adding a puppy to a home is a ten to fifteen year committment and any puppy purchase or adoption should be well researched and thought out in advance to ensure that the family is able and willing to take in the puppy and provide it with a loving and suitable home.
    I sincerely hope that using live, 'cute' young animals as fundraisers will never be considered again by your Foundation.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    ----- M. Acklam

Good news here is the reply I received to the letter I wrote to the organization;

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention, we take them seriously. JDRF is an organization which was established to find a cure for Type 1 diabetes and its complications. Donations to the organization are used for this purpose.

The 2007 Promise Ball is one of the Foundation's most important fund raising events, which includes a number of components such as a Silent Auction and Live Auction. A puppy was included as one of the Live Auction's items. The offer of a puppy was a very small part of the fundraising event. The Globe's reference to a "puppy auction" was completely misleading and inaccurate, particularly with its connection between puppies and donations of over half a million dollars.

As part of the due diligence process for including a puppy as one of the auction items, JDRF sought a reputable, experienced, and professional breeder to provide a suitable puppy. The breeder was present during the entire event, ensuring the puppy was provided with the necessary care and attention. Gala participants had many hours before the start of the auction to see the puppy and speak to the breeder. There was ample opportunity for the breeder to meet with interested parties and to provide information about the puppy. The dog did not just appear moments before the bidding began.

JDRF will continue to strive to provide unique and exciting auction items, while balancing the need to act responsibly and in good faith with our generous donors.*

The organization has made the decision that in future, live animals will not be featured in any auctions nor used to raise funds in any way.
    Adriene
    ---------

Adriene, I had the exact same reply that you did. I guess they heard from quite a few people about this
    ----- M. Acklam

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi's Pam View Post
    Adriene, I had the exact same reply that you did. I guess they heard from quite a few people about this
    Yes, it appears that they are listening....but we will have to keep an eye out.
    Adriene
    ---------

MicheleS Guest
    I'm glad they decided to put a stop to these in the future. What were they thinking??????