Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dachshund who won't eat!

mardoniche Guest

dachshund who won't eat!

Hi everyone,
    Could anyone give me some tips on a fussy dachshund. I have never come across this problem with a dachsie before, all mine eat as if it is their last meal! Daizy is my standard smooth girl, she is now six months old. She has always been a problem to feed, what she eats one day she will not look at for the next week. I have always had to hand feed her, she will not even look in a bowl. I have just started to show her, and have been told she needs a lot more weight, she is now eighteen pounds. I think she looks lovely but the show people are adamant that she is not fat enough. Every single thing she eats is fed to her by hand, including tripe, not nice! The only thing she will eat with relish is cheese, but there is a limit to how much of this she will eat. I have tried live yoghurt, cottage cheese, eggs, cooked all ways possible, chicken ccooked and raw, lamb, beef, tinned, dried, fish, rabbit the list is endless. I am now stuck. This is a hard one I know but any suggestions would be so much appreciated.
    She is driving me mad.......
    love to all those dachsies out there, Dawn and dachsies.

Hi Dawn,

What are you feeding now? Kibble (dry food) or canned?

With Kibble we find that mixing a little pure Pumpkin or canned Green Beans will make any Dachsie eat. We've also read where others use other canned veggies like sliced carrots . . . Yogurt is another we've heard will work.

If you're feeding canned . . . I suppose they would work with that, too.

Take care and let us know what worked,
    Mark and Jean

Caleigh (7/27/2012) and Dusty (7/25/2012)

Forever in our hearts
         Beloved Wimpy (1/21/1990 - 11/27/2002)
         Sweet Susie (12/4/1991 - 10/31/2008)
         Bold Brutus (1/9/1995 - 4/23/2010)
         Beautiful Debbie (11/9/98 - 9/21/2012)
         Soulful Star (5/8/99 - 10/30/2012)
         Precious Tiny (4/15/94 -11/27/2012)

Meemoo Guest
    Looks like she has YOU trained. You have conditioned her where she will now only eat out of your hand. I would put the food down and leave it there for 15 minutes. If she doesn't eat, pick it up and nothing until the next meal. Do the same thing the next time...she will eat eventually. You can also try adding broth to the kibble or a little canned as Mark suggested. Are you feeding a high quality kibble?

Dolly's Mom Guest
    I agree with Meemoo. A little tough love might do the trick.

mardoniche Guest

Hi,
    I would totally agree with your advice on reading the thread. But believe me she is unlike any dog I have ever known. I do have a lot of dachsies, some very picky and fussy, but none like Daizy. From the day I collected her from the breeder she has not eaten. I did find out that she had not been weaned, but taken straight from the bitch, she had never had solids. She truly acts as if she is anorexic, when the food is in her mouth she will actually heave, she spits it out and then picks the tiniest amount possible. To feed her half a pound of minced meat will take me the best part of an hour. I have tried leaving her in a crate with her meal, she has never touched it. The longest she has been without eating is five days, and I could not leave her any longer. I try to get her to eat Hill's science diet as her main kibble, with what ever meat I can persuade her to eat. I cook her the best rump steak and she will eat one or two tiny pieces and that is that. The food seems to repulse her, no matter what it is. She has seen the vet who has said their is nothing physically wrong. The vet prescribed anabolic steroids to increase her appetite, it made no difference, apart from making her drink more water. So, as you can see I am at the end of my tether, I just dont know what to try next.....
    Dawn and dachsies

MARTHA Guest

Hi Dawn

Well Sadie Mae is amazed - a doxie that turns her nose up at steak??? She is her romm right now filling out her application to come move in with you!!! Steak and Beanie to cause trouble with, what a combo!!!

Have you tried something like liverwurst or livercheese? Or some Brunsuager? (spelling???) - Most dogs will just about kill for that! Liver is usually so good to most doxies that it used as a treat.

What about lamb? That is another thing that some picky eaters go for.

Another thing you might try (and I know some people may think that this is gross) open the refrigerator door and let her sniff, she what she tends to lean toward. If all else fails, send her to my house, nobody is skinny at my house, we have to fight in the other direction!

Let me know how she does!!!

Martha and the Girls and the one foster...

Molly's Mom Guest
    I've never heard of a dog that picky, so I don't know what to say. Is there any treat that you normally wouldn't give as a meal she will eat? I mix a little canned food in with the dry for my dogs, but I ran out for a few days and they went on a hunger strike. Only way I could get them to eat until I had time to get the canned food was to mix a little bit of peanut butter in with the food.

However, I would certainly try to not hand feed. I've done that before where they will get a piece or two from my hand and I'll inch the food closer to the bowl. After that, they are on their own. If they don't eat from the bowl then, they just don't eat. If there isn't anything wrong with your dog, eventually, if you are firm about that, they will give in an eat on their own, even if it's in secret when they think it won't look like they gave in.

~Jen~ Guest
    Dawn,

I totally feel your pain, Sarah my mini longhair is the SAME way, if you can believe that. She has been a pain in the rear to feed since day 1. We tried every kind of kibble that you could find, canned food, homeade diets and everything. She would eat a little bit and then seem repulsed by it... i check with the vet also he said she looked fine. I was also encouraged by *some* other breeders to get some weight on her and i agreed she was 8lbs and nearly a year old and very slim.

I was told about steroids as well, but i refuse to give my dog a hard drug to make her eat .. i wanted to know why she wouldn't. I talked with alot of other breeders asking advice and opinions and decided that i would try a acid reducer (IE Zantac, Pepcid AC) this helped Sarah ALOT, check with your vet and see if its ok to try it with your pupper she might just have a acidic tummy.

Once i got Sarah eating she hasn't stopped... she eats her meals now we started her on Red Barn Beef flavor (recommened by Carol Smith who also frequents this board) we also give her veggies and lots of good treats to keep her weight up since shes a high energy girl too...no more meds and she is at a good weight now 9lbs... its amazing how much of a difference 1lb will make on a mini...LOL!

Good Luck
    Jen & Sarah

sherlocksmom Guest

Not eating

With all the doxies Dawn tells us about I am shocked she ran across something new she hadn't dealt with before.

I think Jen might be onto something.

My tweenie slick hair eats pretty good, but when younger tried the hand feeding trick for awhile. Ofcourse we adored him so much we played along, for a few days, so that took awhile to break. But he has been known to go 3 days without eating when all he can get is real dog food. Finally he gave up and wolfed down his food. But we did worry about him.

The thing we have trouble with is sometimes not eating. He thinks if he waits he can get human food while we eat. So he waits patiently and gets nothing and then we take a walk and then he plays and then goes to sleep and then in the night wakes up with a sick stomach and I may have to take him out up to 3 times in the night so he can graze on grass, but mostly elm seedlings, if he can find them. I've concluded this is when he didn't eat enough during the day so he feels sick in the night. Of course after 3 trips outside at 3 in the morning I feel a little sick too.

I think the acid stomach thing could really play a part in a pup who has been eating limited meals for quite awhile. Might be worth looking into.

Good luck to Dawn and all her doxies.

mardoniche Guest

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am trying Daizy on an antacid twice daily. I have also put her on a supplement called fit and fertile, it is supposed to help with appetite amongst other things, so I am giving it a go. Thankfully it comes in a milk powder base, so I am able to syringe it to her. Yep she wont even drink milk!
    If anyone would like to see a photo of Daizy and my other dachsies, you can visit my web site, www.mardoniche.com
    See you there, love Dawn and dachsies.

mardoniche Guest

Well this just about flabberghasted me. One of my little mins is an avid mouser, and keeping parrots does tend to attract these little furries. Puff will spend hours waiting by their hideouts until one makes the fatal mistake of popping a head out. She never eats or even chews them, just kills them and then the interest is lost. The other day I walked into the kitchen just as Puff had caught yet another unfortunate mouse, she was so surprised to see me she dropped the still alive mouse, Daizy was in like a flash and off, rodent still squirming hanging from the side of her mouth. She made a frantic dash to a dog bed with me and all the girls in tow. In her panic at having to give up her prize, she swallowed it down, at this point the mouse was still alive. Words failed me, which does not happen often. I offer this dog everything from rump steak to the best cheese and she eats a flipping mouse................well, it's enough to make a saint swear
    love to all those dachsies out there, Dawn and dachsies.

Yikes!!!

Mark and Jean

Caleigh (7/27/2012) and Dusty (7/25/2012)

Forever in our hearts
         Beloved Wimpy (1/21/1990 - 11/27/2002)
         Sweet Susie (12/4/1991 - 10/31/2008)
         Bold Brutus (1/9/1995 - 4/23/2010)
         Beautiful Debbie (11/9/98 - 9/21/2012)
         Soulful Star (5/8/99 - 10/30/2012)
         Precious Tiny (4/15/94 -11/27/2012)

sherlocksmom Guest

picky eater???

No wonder she needs antacid. Maybe your fare is just too gourmet for her taste. HA!:raz:

MARTHA Guest

MOUSIES!!!!

Dear Puff Daizy and you hansum fella Beanie...

Mousies too!!! I am working real hard on my application to move in with you guys. Puff, if Daizy wants to eat mousies, we can catch them for her and when your Mom fixes her steak WE can eat the steak!!!Of course Dear Beanie I will share with you!

OOff to work on my application again...

Love Sadie Mae

dana Guest
    i looked at your website and your dachsies are soooo cute. your house looks lovely too. what lucky doggies you have. i loved the picture with all of them in the same bed. i hope your daizy is doing better with the eating. i will be praying for you all.
    give them all a hug for me!
    -dana and dex