Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short hair puppy losing hair along back

AngelMc Guest

Short hair puppy losing hair along back

Our puppy is 14 weeks old and in the past 2 weeks has been losing hair, but it seems he's lost more this week along his spine. I'm worried. What should we do? I'm off friday and was going to attempt going to the vet.

My Mood
    Bored
    To the DBB. So glad that you found us. Sorry to hear that your new pup seems to be having a problem. I have never experienced the hair loss in a pup that young. I would think that a trip to your vet might be a good idea - if nothing else, it will give you peace of mind. I know that other DBBers will be offering advise as well. Please keep us posted on what's happening. We'd love to see pictures of your little pupper. Again,

My Mood
    Cool
    Hi and welcome to the DBB!

What are you feeding your pup? Has he been scratching the area (rolling on his back) where the hair is missing?

Does he have a harness that rubs along where the hair is missing?

Bob, Chrissie, Gabe, Gwen & The Florida Four
    Geisha, Jake, Lynx, Elwood (RIP) , Leo(RIP) & Dutch(RIP)

There is a possibility that he has red mange-demodex mange.
    ~*~* Irma *~*~
    GUNNER, AND PETUNIA THE LITTLE BLACK AND TAN / DAPPLE WIENER'S THAT STOLE MY HEART FOREVER.
    Yahoo pics to Gunner

My Mood
    Busy
    Pups (lh and sh alike) do lose their "puppy fur" and the change can seem drastic. I think all mine lost their puppy fur before they were 6 months old.

But if your pup is losing drastically/has baldness, have it checked out to rule out conditions like mange/ringworm.
    Mom to: Black Jack, Aiko, Nellie, Lenny, Guy.
    In memory of Miss Pickle baby; 11/23/2003 - 5/22/2007, Omega 3/1/1998 - 12/23/2011, Izzy

AngelMc Guest
    He's been eating Purina Puppy Chow for the past week.....that's the only change. He was eating Puppy Chow that we bought at Walmart prior to this though, and now that I think of it, he wasn't losing much hair until he started with the purina......do you think that could be the issue?

He doesn't have any red spots, no itching, rolling around, or anything of that nature. Just gradually losing hair along his back and a small spot on his head. He's asleep next to me right now and I can see that his hair is thinning on his left side as well.

He does sleep in my bed at night, both on top of the cover as well as under the cover at my feet.

kpm_tex Guest
    Have you had him to the vet since you got him? If not get him into the vet as soon as you can. Hair falling out and leaving bald patches is not normal... even on puppy chow. Demodex mange is likely and something that would need to be ruled out... a simple skin scraping will tell if that is the problem. It's not uncommon in puppies and is brought on by stress and is treatable. Your breeder should be made aware if that is the case.

What color is your puppy? Some dilute colors, such as isabella and blue can also have hair loss / skin issues just as a result of the color dilution.

AngelMc Guest

Thanks for the advice

I've got an appt with the vet tomorrow to check on our puppy's shedding hair problem. I'm praying it's nothing major.

Lowrider_156 Guest
    Let us know how it went. I got my fingers crossed and Skeeter got his paws crossed.

Sorry you had to find us under such circumstances, but to DBB! I'm glad you have a vet appointment; even if it's nothing, I'd rather check it out and be sure. I am a huge worrier, and would always rather be safe than sorry. Let us know what the vet says!

AngelMc Guest

Back from the vet

Unfortunately, my little Duncan has Demodex. They did the skin scrape on his little head and left a big red goose egg spot, but at least we know what's going on. He's got some oral drops to take now and we'll return in 3 weeks for a recheck test. They gave him his first shots, including Rabies shots today, clipped his nails, and gave him his first heartworm preventative medicine as well. He's been asleep for a bit now since taking his medicine, so we'll see how he's doing tonight.
    Thanks for all your advice on here.

Awwww, so sorry he has that condition. Hopefully, with some medicine and TLC, he'll be right as rain soon. Luckily, I've never had to deal with it - I understand it can get REALLY serious. Good you caught it so soon.

cpmomcat Guest

Similar Problem - Questionable Diagnosis

My 10 week old smooth-hair dachsie has a similar problem, wherein he is losing his hair. Started out to be just a small spot and has begun to spread alarmingly quickly. The vet did a scraping and said that he saw no "mites", but he still thinks it is Dermodex. He prescribed an ointment to put on the areas. He also took a sample of skin/hair to send out to culture for ringworm just in case - but he tells me it will take 3 weeks to get the results back!! I'm afraid that my pup will be hairless by then!! I was given no oral medication - just the ointment (Goodwinol is what it looks like it is called). Is this the best course of action for me to take? Do I have any recourse to waiting 3 weeks (2 1/2 weeks now)? I'm beside myself about this! Any advice will be welcome.
    Cathy

My Mood
    Bored
    I'm glad that you've joined us. I'm sorry about what's going on with your wee one. How long have you had him? Did you notice anything when he first came to you? At 10 weeks old, he is just a new baby and shouldn't be having these problems. If you are not comfortable with the treatment that your vet has prescribed (waiting 3 weeks does seem like too long to me), I would get a second opinion from another reputable vet.

Please keep us posted on what you find out. Sending DBB healing for your little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelMc View Post
    He's been eating Purina Puppy Chow for the past week.....that's the only change. He was eating Puppy Chow that we bought at Walmart prior to this though, and now that I think of it, he wasn't losing much hair until he started with the purina......do you think that could be the issue?
    I am glad you got a diagnosis and are able to treat him.

When you get a chance, I suggest checking out www.dogfoodproject.com to see info about pet foods and what the ingredients are/mean. Puppy chow (and anything else you can buy at Walmart or a grocery store) are very inferior. You can buy a much higher quality food, which may seem more expensive, but you feed less so it lasts longer and your pup will be much healthier.
    Stacy

Zoe, almost 7 yrs. old, adopted from the MdSPCA
    Jake, 4 yrs. old, golden retriever/collie mix from a shelter