View Poll Results: How do you pronounce Dachshund?

Voters
279. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dox-ind

35 12.54%
  • Dox-hund

170 60.93%
  • dax-hund

29 10.39%
  • Dash-hund

26 9.32%
  • Other?

19 6.81%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you pronounce Dachshund?

Doxie_88 Guest

How do you pronounce Dachshund?

I have heard people pronounce Dachshund in so many different ways, how do you pronounce it? I say it like Dox-hund.

Heide Guest

That is the way

I pronounce it too, like you do.
    I know you need to get the hound in there.
    Great poll question

Patt Guest
    I also say Dox-hund, although some say Dacks-Hoont.

lotsadox Guest
    I say dox-hund. My mother used to say dat-sun like they used to call the cars. She'd get really mad when I'd laugh at that.

Uschi Guest
    Heh, I suppose I should have picked "other" now that I think about it... I'm usually lazy and just say "DOX-in", though I speak a bit of German and know full well that it should be more of a "dax-HOONT" sound. The only irony there is that Germans don't say Dachshund in any form... it's "Teckel" there, the same as we use when we're talking to Hans' parents in Denmark.

My Mood
    Fine
    That's an interesting little tidbit..what does Teckel mean?
    Janet
    Housekeeping staff for 2 Black and Tans:
    Sir Oliver & Tammy

Live simply. Love generously.
    Care deeply. Speak kindly.
    Leave the rest to God.

RIP Baby Girl Hope. I love you.

My Mood
    Lurking
    I think Teckel means badger dog or hound. And for some reason my son (who is 9) calls her a dash-hound. He must thinks she's really fast or somthing! lol

FOREVER A DAXIE Guest
    Pretty much Dox-hund. But I also say daxon, dachsie, etc. When people still don't know I say 'you know, the wiener dog'!!!

Anatresia Guest
    I have a minor in German from college. Never use it, but I do think that "dox-hund" is probably right, just from knowing how to pronouce some German words.

I don't like Dash-hound and people use that one a lot.

When I use the plural, I say "Doxen" like that commerical with the guy who wanted oxen, not doxen.

Kim H. Guest

"wiener-dog"

ok... I know that's not the technical term, and lots of dachshund owners don't like it... but my husband and I have always thought it was cute. We used it more with our little boy than with the girls.

Officially, I say dox-hund. I don't quite know what to do with people (husband's relatives) who say "Datsun." Where in the world did they get THAT pronunciation??

My Mood
    Fine

I say "doxhund"

and I asked a German exchange student a couple of years ago, and she said it's "dach-un" - she didn't really use "teckel". Julia B.
    Julia - owned and operated by Brekke Schokolade von Braun (b. 7/5/2001), Master Robinton (gotcha day 5/13/2008), Rowan Bella von Braun (b. 2/27/01), and Bastian Edward von Braun (b. 5/22/00)

Being German, It Is Dacks-hund, Or Dackel. Dox-hund Is Close. Of Course Writen It Is Dachshund. My Grandfather Used To Call Me "my Dackel" Cause He Said I Walked Like One. Americans would pronounce it DOX-HUND.
    ~*~* Irma *~*~
    GUNNER, AND PETUNIA THE LITTLE BLACK AND TAN / DAPPLE WIENER'S THAT STOLE MY HEART FOREVER.
    Yahoo pics to Gunner

Kathy Guest
    That's true that in Germany doxies are called teckels or teckelhunds - "badger dogs." German dachshunds are a lot larger than American dachshunds, so I've been told.

I pronounce the word "dox-hund."

I pronounce it

Weeeeeeennnnnnniiiiiiiieeeeeeeee Dog.
    Onebigmickeyfan

Lori
    Mom to the Payne Pac
    Missy, Annie, Sammy, Thorny, Zeke, Cyrus, Milano, Cricket, Justice, Faith, Gloria, Buddy, Cocoa, Bitzy (shoot me already)

Coast to Coast Dachshund Rescue
    http://www.c2cdr.org
    National Miniature Dachshund Club
    http://dachshund-nmdc.org/
    Mid States Miniature Dacshund Club
    http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/M...guid=135331309

Uschi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LUVMYGUNNER
    Being German, It Is Dacks-hund, Or Dackel. Dox-hund Is Close.
    Whoops, forgot "Dackel" as well as Teckel. Heh, heh. My in-laws in Denmark (one from close to the German border) still think it's a hoot we call them "sausage" dogs. :P

And yes, Dachsies can be quite a bit larger in Europe. I know my eyes bugged out when I saw Kaze (a standard) for the first time, since I was so used to Ripley's tweenie size. I can't imagine an even BIGGER Dachsie!