Thread: Alopecia (Dachshund baldness)

Anatresia Guest

Alopecia (Dachshund baldness)

Hey- I'm new to this, so bear with me.

My dachshund is (my life) one year old. He has been diagnosed with alopecia- hereditary baldness, which I know some vets call "Dachshund ears" (when just the ears go bald). His whole belly is near-bald, with tiny hairs covering skin, like on your forearm. Behind his ears is bald (completely) and his little butt is also somewhat bald. The breeder claimed that no other dogs of hers have had that problem, and, as I saw the parents, I see no reason to think she is lying. The vet said she'd never seen it on a dog so young, nor had she seen it so badly.

It sounds really bad when I write it, but looking at him, one can hardly tell unless I point it out. It just looks like he's a lighter red on his belly & chest. (He's CUTE! He really, really is! I'm not trying to make my dog sound ugly!)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has a dachshund with this problem, and if you might know of any homeopathic remedies. The vet says nothing helps, but I found that NuVet Plus (I think it's called that, anyway) vitamins help it grow in fuller, but he HATES the taste- he shows his teeth and tries to spit it out everyday, like a child eating something sour. I stopped giving it to him, because it was upsetting him and it really is just a cosmetic thing- the baldness isn't hurting him (it's not thyroid related, or anything), but recently it's been getting worse again, so I started to give him half a vitamin, instead of the whole thing (which he doesn't like, but it's not killing him.)

Any advice?

Sausage Mom Guest
    Neither of mine have the condition that you have described, but last year when I was in the hospital Pogo started losing patches of fur, which would not grow back even when I came home. We started giving him Mrs. Allen's shed stop and that seemed to help (the cream from the vet didn't make any difference). His coat is now soft and totally amazing, in fact he gets compliments wherever we go on how nice it is. But again, don't know if it will help in your case.

As for the taste, Pogo and Pixel eat it right out of their bowl and if we forget to give it to Pogo, he will go and bang his bowl until he get it!! Loves the stuff.

But don't stress over it, if it's not bugging the dog, don't worry about it!

Roxy has dachshund pattern baldness. When I adopted her her belly was pink(no hair) and she was "bald". I took her to the vet to rule out a thyroid problem. We tried hormone therapy(estrogen) but it didn't work very well and the vet said there could be long term side effects. The only thing that has worked for Roxy is a food called "Avoderm" it has avocado in it. I don't know exactly how it works, but Roxy's tummy is no longer pink(she has hair). It comes in Lamb&rice, Chicken&Rice and a vegetarian variety. Roxy likes the Lamb& Rice. I found it at Petco, my Petsmart doesn't carry it, only Petco. I noticed a difference after about 2weeks of feeding it to her. I thought her tummy was dirty and tried to wash it off, but it was hair. Hope this works for you too!
    In Loving Memory of Roxy . Aug. 1, 1997- December 1, 2011.

"If you want to sacrifice the admiration of many men for the criticism of one, go ahead, get married"-Katherine Hepburn.

Anatresia Guest

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm going to try them.

kpm_tex Guest
    Mine don't have this condition but I was just curious as to what color your pup is? I've heard / read that this condition is more prevalent in the 'designer' colors... blue & tan, isabella & tan etc.

Patt Guest
    Penny was our first little Dachsie (red) and she had Alopecia, I don't believe anything can be done but you can always try. During the winter she did grow a little more fuzz.

Color Alopecia is definitely hooked to the dilute colors (in just about any breed that has them), but there's regular old Alopecia that's happy to affect any color dachshund, too. Lots of dachsies have bare chests and bellies because of it- and there just isn't much to do about it, it seems.

I bet he IS adorable- but we'll need a few pictures from you, proof, you know...

Welcome to the board!

Anatresia Guest
    Mr. Butters is a smooth red. He's a darker red, with a blackish stripe down his back like an odd colored skunk. Part of his appeal, I think.

I went to Petco and Petsmart to find those products and neither had them! (We did get his nails cut, though, and he's now pouting in the corner, glaring at me.) I guess I will have to accept the fate of my bald dachshund.

I posted some pics on photobucket. The picture of him sleeping (in my sister's arms, like a baby) shows his baldness well.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/...resia/?multi=5

Thanks for the welcomes!

Oh, I want to see!!! But I'd need a password for photobucket, or you'll have to link the pictures.

Check HERE for pretty good photo-posting instructions, and hollar if you need more help.

Sorry you couldn't find the Avoderm. It's made by Breeder's Choice, you could probably go to their website and find a distributor in your area. I think the company is in California, so it could just be a west coast thing. I hope not! I got the food because I thought at least the hair she had would be healthy. Roxy is also a red smooth. I was glad to see that it helped with the hair. I'm sure you feel the same as I do, it doesn't matter how much hair your dog has, it's still beautiful!

"If you want to sacrifice the admiration of many men for the criticism of one, go ahead, get married"-Katherine Hepburn.

joeysmom Guest
    After JOEY's back surgery I started giving him glucosamine\chondotrin, esther C, and salmon oil supplements and switched him to a half raw, half high quality kibble diet. An unexpected and neat side effect was that the hair on his bald belly grew back! Since I changed so many variables in his diet, I don't know what triggered the re-growth of hair but you may want to try some supplements and raw food (I feed JOEY the Prairie brand of frozen meat medallions).

Anatresia Guest
    I'm probably going to order some products online (the Avoderm, for one) since Buffalo is not a very Dachshund friendly city (not many breeders, and you never see someone else with one- which is kind of cool because everyone makes a BIG deal out of Mr. Butters.)

I added a photo at Dogster, which anyone can see. His full name is Mr. Butters Von Wienerhausen and a search will bring him up. : )

Kim H. Guest

I looked at his Dogster pictures

and he is just adorable.

Cassie and Angel sent him a "pup pal" reqest if he would like to be friends with some wild little girls.

I looked at his pictures on Dogster. He is adorable His tummy looks like Roxy's did when I first got her. In fact, I used to call her "pink belly" now her tummy is brown, in fact I thought it was dirty and tried to was it off. When it wouldn't wash off I realized it was hair!